When it came down to choosing a crib for our nursery we took advantage of the numerous other bloggers who had already done the research into finding a safe crib for themselves. One of the best resources we found was over on Young House Love where Sherry and John had already done pretty extensive research on a number of cribs that we were interested in. Ultimately we decided to go with the same crib that they chose the Baby Mod Parklane 3-in-1 Convertible Crib made from solid New Zealand pinewood, meets all U.S. crib standards and features a non-toxic finish.
Important things to consider when choosing a Crib, cradle or bassinet:
• Slats no more than 2 3/8 inches apart
• Corner posts no more than 1/16 of an inch above frame
• No cutouts in headboard or footboard
• Top rails at least 26 inches above mattress
Other Things To Consider:
- Materials it is made from
- Type of Paint Used
- Do you want a convertible crib or not? A convertible cost a little more but will last you longer.
- Pregtastic Tips: Crib Safety (video)
- The Bump: 10 Cribs We Love
- The Bump: Cribs, Bassinets & Playards
- Pregtastic: Your Baby’s Sleeping Environment: Choosing a Safe Crib and Mattress
- CPSC: The New Crib Standards (Government regulations)