Neil was recently out of town for four entire days which meant four days on my own with two littles. That’s 4 full days including 4 bedtimes and by the end of day 4 I was exhausted. I have come to realize 3 nights is my max before I start to go a little batty. I also learned the following ways to make 4 days of solo parenting work.
1. Get out of the house. It’s so easy to stay cooped up inside but the reality is just get out it will make all of you feel better.
2. Dance. When all else fails have a dance party or simply lay on the floor and let your kids crawl on you because that seems to entertain them just as much.
3. Take advantage of take out. give yourself a break and order some takeout, eat out of the cartons and make sure they bring plastic cutlery so you aren’t left doing any extra dishes.*
4. Delivery. in addition to taking advantage of takeout have someone else deliver your groceries. **
5. Bathtime. If your littles are cranky give them a bath – baths seem to make everyone happy.
6. Outsource. Skype the grandparents or parent who is out of town. that’s easily 20-40 minutes of entertainment and if it’s the grandparents you can do something else while your kids throw coconut chips as confetti.
7. Playdates. Let your kid(s) enjoy some friend time and you enjoy some adult conversation.
Does your significant other travel? What do you do to make it more manageable?
* [I used Postmates Delivery – get a $10 delivery credit on your first order with code: 3kih]
**[I used Instacart – get $10 off your first order with code: LINGALLS21]