Okay so we are just shy of three months and for the first two weeks we didn’t cloth diaper at all but anyways I figured that I’d do an update. Let me first tell you that I really enjoy cloth diapering but there surely have been some ups and downs. Starting with the fact that not all cloth diapers are created equal and as much as you don’t want to spend the money on newborn sized ones sometimes it’s just worth it.
At this point we are only cloth diapering about 75% of the time and a big part of that is because most of the cloth diapers that we have are still gigantic on Edie. We try to cloth diaper as much as we can throughout the day at home but when we go out and at night we use a Seventh Generation disposable.
So lets take a run down of what we have and what we are using:
What is working best right now:
- Four Bum Genius all-in-one newborn
- One Omaiki Cloth Diaper
- One Ones&Twos Cloth Diaper
- One FuzziBunz size x-small
What works okay but don’t love/fit well (yet):
- 12 Cloth-eez® Workhorse™ Diapers and two Bummis Super Brite newborn covers
- One Glow Bug Cloth Diaper
- One Dinkledooz Cloth Diaper
- FuzziBunz size small
- Charlie Banana Hybrid size small
- Two Thirsties Duo Wraps and Six inserts
- One Applecheeks Cloth Diaper
What doesn’t work:
- BummisOrganic Cotton Diaper Kit Infant Size (8-15lbs)
- 24 infant size Organic Cotton Prefold diapers(4 x 8 x 4 layers thick)
- 4 Super Whisper Wraps – small
- 2 Super Brites Covers– small
- Bummis BeautifulBASIC 2-Piece Cloth Diaper and Extra Cover
- The Charlie Banana size medium and the regular Bum Genius AIO
The bulk of the diapers that we got were Bummis pre-folds and we haven’t been able to use any of them because E is super tiny and they are uncomfortably huge on her even though they say that they should fit 8-15 lbs. E has reached 9lbs now but they still don’t work very well. I really wish we had started with the newborn ones but then again we were expecting an 8-9lb baby and ended up with a 6lb 11oz baby instead (so thankful for though-um can we saw ouch?).
I am loving the Bum Genius all-in-one newborn they are the perfect size, the are all-in-one and they most closely resemble disposables in size, look and ease of use. We first received two of these from my mom when Edie first arrived and loved them so much that we purchased two more from Jillian’s Drawers in gently used section. We also bought the two FuzziBunz and the regular sized Bum Genius from the gently used section at Jillian’s Drawers. I love the x-small FuzziBunz minus stuffing the insert which is a little challenging because it’s so tiny but just like the Bum Genius newborn it fits really well.
I like the Cloth-eez® Workhorse™ for the size but I am not loving the Bummis newborn covers because they don’t fit great and they hold in the heat and moisture causing the insert to soak with sweat not just pee. I found that the Thirsties covers when snapped down to a smaller size work much better than the Bummis ones and do not hold in as much moisture.I also have found that the Cloth-eez® Workhorse™ stain really bad (or E just has some really crazy poops).
Diapers we use but don’t really care for Glow Bug, Dinkledooz and Applecheeks. When it comes to Glow Bug it is a little too big still for E and I just don’t really love the design, the hybrid style and the insert. It isn’t as flattering or absorbent as I would like. As for the Dinkledooz some of the same gripes as the Glow Bug on top of the fact that I hate the hideous brown color, what an awful idea. Lastly, the Applecheeks, which was a gift from a friend who is a lover of Applecheeks. I really wanted to like Applecheeks but I find that even though it fits well in the legs, around the waist and is soft and absorbent I just don’t love having to stuff it and it is really huge on E.
Thoughts so far:
- I wish we had purchased more newborn sized cloth diapers because E still comfortably wears newborn size and probably will for at least a few more weeks.
- I love cloth diapering and can’t wait to do more of it.
- I wish we had more AIO’s because they fit the best and are the easiest to use.
- We love our Planet Wise wet bags
- We are going to stick with what we are doing now and keep trying on the larger diapers in hopes that they will soon fit. If the Bummis don’t work for us we are hoping we can sell them and invest in some more AIO’s.
- We are going to start using cloth wipes as well (more on this at our 6 month update).