[babymoon] n. last big child-free getaway
When it came to deciding on whether or not we would have a babymoon, we flip-flopped back and forth for awhile, trying to decide whether we needed to take one and if it would be financially responsible to take one. Just when we had decided against doing a babymoon for financial reasons (it’s so expensive to travel in February/March!) an opportunity to travel to South Carolina came up. My parents had made a last minute decision to rent a condo in South Carolina for the month of March and invited us to stay with them for a week. Now this was not what I had imagined our babymoon would be (beach front, just the two of us, romantic), but it was an opportunity for us to get away, take a trip to a new place and do it inexpensively.
Since we would be spending our time sharing a condo with my parents we decided that we would make sure to make a little time for ourselves. We ended up decided to have a ‘babymoon date’ to Charleston, just the two of us. We rented a car and drove the two hours south from Myrtle Beach to Charleston. It was a beautiful day and we spent it walking around the downtown, enjoying the sites, the water and a romantic and delicious lunch at S.N.O.B.
Although our trip wasn’t what we had envisioned our babymoon to be it was a wonderful last big child-free getaway.
- Plan ahead. If you know that when you become pregnant you’d like to take a babymoon make sure to budget in advance for your trip. We had taken a trip before becoming pregnant and unfortunately that didn’t allow us to have our ideal babymoon.
- Travel between 18-24 weeks. I recommend this for a few reasons the first of which is comfort, you will be so much more comfortable, have more energy and be able to enjoy your trip more during this span of weeks. Another reason is that airlines and cruises often do not allow you to fly/cruise after a certain point, although you can talk with your pre-natal care provider and request written permission for the airline/cruiseline. Lastly, if you are driving to your destination sitting in the car can become really uncomfortable fast and may require numerous bathroom breaks.
- Relax. Rather than taking an adventurous trip or plan on visiting a number of attractions chose a destination that allows you to sit back, relax and just enjoy each others company. Plan a spa day, spend the day sitting by the beach or pool and just unwind.
- Pregtastic Podcast: Babymoon Boom
- The Bump: 10 Babymoon Tips
- Pretty Little Mustache: Babymoon-Puerto Rico
- KathEats: Babymoon- Jamaica
- CaitlinHTP: Babymoon- South Beach
- Carrots and Crackers: Babymoon- Kiawah Island
- Heather’s Dish: Babymoon- Denver
- Daily Garnish: Babymoon- Vegas
Our Babymoon Gallery
Looks like a fun trip! I’m glad things worked out that you were able to go!