I think both of our kids are going through a growth spurt right now. Every time I sit down to relax for a minute they seem to ask for a snack and back to the kitchen I go. With all this snacking I have really had to get creative with their snack plates.
My go to snack plate items include:
- fresh veggie sticks – my littles love carrots, bell pepper and cucumber.
- fresh fruit – basically any kind of fruit you can think of except durian…probably not durian.
- kale chips, crackers, pita bread
- spreads/dips including peanut butter, hummus and vegan ranch
I also like to add something a little bit more fun to the plate such as:
- apple almond butter sandwiches – core and apple, cut into rounds, spread one slices with almond butter and top with another slice.
- tofurky and vegan cream cheese roll ups – spread cream cheese onto a tortilla or lavash bread place a layer of tofurky, roll up and cut into little rounds.
- rice cracker and cashew cheese sandwiches – see cashew cheese recipe below
This morning I kept it simple and the kids snacked on Trader Joe’s Roasted Seaweed Snacks but when it came time for lunch they were all over these lunch snack plates.
Alder’s Plate: Crinkle Cut Carrots, Cucumber, Apple, Homemade Bagel Chips and Cashew Cheese Spread.
Cashew Cheese Spread
- 1 cup of raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 1.5 teaspoons miso
- 1 scallion
- 1/4 cup water
Place everything in a food processor and process until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides of the processor a few times until it is smooth.
- 2 bagels flavor of your choice – I went with everything
- 1-2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Preheat the oven to 350F. Thinly slice the bagels, place on a cookie sheet, rub with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
Since Alder now sites at the table with us instead of in his high chair he has been all about using the OXO Tot Perch Booster Seat with Straps. Edith on the other hand has re-claimed the highchair which we have converted into a youth seat. Both couldn’t be happier and I love how the booster seat has a strap around the waist and it also straps to the chair.
Edith’s Plate: Crinkle Cut Carrots, Cucumber, Apple, hummus, and seaweed rice wraps.
Seaweed Rice Wraps
- 1 package of seaweed snacks
- 1/2-1 cup cooked rice
place a tiny bit of rice in the center of the seaweed snack, roll up like sushi and use a tiny bit of water to seal the edge.
I think the key to snack plates is to keep them fun, relatively simple and full of color, flavors and textures. I also love that these OXO Tot Spoon & Fork sets because they are perfect for little hands and the OXO Tot Divided plates have dividers which makes it easy to separate all the different foods and make fun and pretty plates for the kids.
What are your snacks to serve to your toddler?
*Disclaimer: While OXO Tot was kind enough to send us Divided Plate, Fork and Spoon Set, Perch Booster Seat with Straps we did not receive any additional compensation for writing this post. If you have been following us for awhile you know we are huge OXO Tot fans.